Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why the Frugal Sporean

Times are hard and probably going to get worse. I believe that while last year might have been a time to play "offense" to earn money, this year is a year to play defence. I am setting up this blog to share my efforts at getting as good a life as possible, for as little as possible.

While saving money is important, it does not have to come at the cost of destroying the earth. In fact, I've found that an environmental conscience can co-exist happily with being frugal. Case in point: burning less fossil fuels will be good for your pocket and the earth.

Nor does saving have to come at the cost of your character. I do not advocate sponging off your friends, or not giving to worthy causes. Rather, some of the money saved can be used to help the lot of the less fortunate. "Can't afford to waste money, can't afford to hoard it" seems to me to be a better motto than "Waste not, want a lot"!

No comments:

Post a Comment