Thursday, September 24, 2009

The St Michael’s Church jumble Sale - what happened

Went down after lunch , as instructed, and was a bit disappointed. “Not so many things this year,”” said a friend, and indeed, the amount of stuff looked miniscule.
I needn’t have worried. As I helped put out handbags, travel luggage and other bags, they went upstairs and brought more things down. And more, and more. Great for a scrounger like myself, but it does say something about our consumeristic society too.
A couple of bags caught my eye (“is $3 ok?” asked the organiser) and got deposited in the car. So did an old but working fax machine – mine died, and this one, which works on thermal paper, suits my low usage needs perfectly. Nevertheless, I told them to sell it to someone else if possible – after all, it isn’t totally essential for me, but I’ll use it if no one else wants it.
With so many goods, things had to be sorted, hung up and so forth. Just as well, as it saved me from foraging for my own shopping pleasure. But not for long.
Soon, I found a couple of books, a grating machine with a few blades and a pristine cake decorating set, right down to the cloth bags for icing ($1 each).
Then the mass was over, and maids and foreign workers, and parishoners came down. With bags at my stall going for $1 (used), $2 (new) and $5 (branded, not guaranteed genuine), it took just a couple of minutes to reduce the carefully set-up stall to a mess.
Some people, with say, eight bags in their hands, asked for discounts. I was a little reluctant, as the prices were already very good, right? But I agreed in a couple of cases. When I reported what I did, half expecting to be frowned at, I was told, “Good!”
This put me on the right track. I’d been on the Singapore mindset, which, if not trying to squeeze as much out of people and things as possible, was at least trying not to be “had”, and possibly anxious about getting scolded for being soft - a bit “us vs them” and basically nasty – whereas the whole point of the jumble sale was to help people. I must try to remember this more in my day-to-day interactions.
I called it a day at about seven. I got the fax for $5 in the end, as there had been no takers. Spent about $30, got a fax, four new handbags (I’ve given two away do far), one computer bag, a belt, a magazine, two books, a teapot and the cake decorating set and grater.
Satisfied the shopping instinct for a while, and more importantly, for a modest sum. I also felt a bit embarrassed when I saw the stuff others gave, and compared it with the things I had contributed – do I wear things out more (good), or do I just give junk (bad)?
Something to bear in mind as I work on the books for next year’s NLB book exchange.

3 comments:

  1. For myself, I find these jumble sales a waste of good stuff; most pple who buy don't want the stuff, so they give $1. To help the really poor, donors shld pass their rejetcs to the down n out selling in Sungei Rd; and those who support jumble sales with $1 purchases out of charity shld ditto pass the spare change to the down n out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look at the previous post, the church gives coupons to the down and out in their neighbourhood, so that they can get stuff for themselves. Looking at the maids and foreign workers who went to the sale, I think it was ok.
    And the money raised will be funnelled to the poor, so no worries - its a charity jumble sale, not a building fund-raiser or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regards to your congregation wedding improvements no choice is progressively essential that the blooms you pick. Blooms can be utilized to help set the tone for your uncommon day. Church wedding decorations Singapore

    ReplyDelete