Monday, January 31, 2011

CNY


Chinese New Year is at hand again. The realisation hit home when an innocent trip to the supermarket “for a few minutes” took over an hour. Confronted with all the usual New Year “must-haves”, I spent a lot more than originally planned (not just in time, either), but since it was for a festive occasion, no hard feelings.

I’m not against rice, oranges and dried mushrooms, or my family’s special pressure-cooked beef recipe, but this New Year, there are a few traditions that I’m not going to observe.

Firstly, no new clothes. The fresh togs made sense in the old days, when people only got new clothes once a year, but nowadays, we get new clothes anytime, and since I don’t need any more clothes at present, I won’t buy any. It makes sense to save a bit, too, given that the price of food is going up, so the other New Year shopping costs more.

Secondly, I’m not going to bother with the turning on the lights to welcome in the New Year – waste of electricity.

No need to get new ang pow packets from anyone – I still have from last year, though, in order to fill them, I queued at the bank for 40 minutes for new notes (I did some other banking business as well, of course, so as not to waste the trip).

I’m not buying any New Year tidbits like pineapple tarts or kuey bangkit – friends and family often give, and if I buy some as well, it will be too much. And if no one gives, I’ll live with it. After all, there are lots of chocolates and stuff in the house if anyone comes to visit, though my brothers have agreed that, to put less stress on Mum, we’ll accept guests at my oldest brother’s place.

That takes care of the “no”s. There are other New Year traditions that I support. I’ll be paying off my bills before the end of the year, we’ll be eating the reunion dinner together – again at my brother’s place, in order to lessen stress.

The house is being cleaned, though some of the stuff is not being thrown away – it’s good to have a clean house, and I now have things to pass on to others who might want them, instead of throwing them.

I’ll also be cooking some hou see fatt choy, because everyone in the family likes it.

Here’s the recipe. Like all traditional recipes, there is no set amount of ingredients. Just add more of whatever you like.

Dried Mushrooms
Fatt Choy (Nostoc flagelliforme)
Hou See (dried oysters)
1 -2 pieces Dried scallops or other shellfish (optional)
Oyster sauce
A couple of cloves Garlic, finely diced

Method:
Pour some boiling water over the mushrooms. Do this twice and let them soak for 15 minutes after the second wash. Reserve the water – which is why you wash twice – the first time to get rid of grit and dirt.

Pour some boiling water over the hou see to wash them. Do this twice and soak the second time. Reserve the water.

Do the same for your dried scallops or shellfish if you have any.

Pour some water over the fatt choy and let stand.

Fry the garlic for a couple of minutes in a saucepan or a pot. Add the oysters.
Cut the stems off the mushrooms and cut the bigger mushrooms in 2 to make them bite-sized.

Add the mushrooms.

Add the water. Leave to simmer until oysters are soft.

Add the fatt choy. The stuff soaks up water, so don’t feel shy about adding some boiling water if it dries up.

Add oyster sauce to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment