Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love thy nature - or not?


Earth Hour day did not get off to a flying start in my household.

First, Sat was the only day that the repairmen were free to come fix the air-conditioning. I had been tempted to let it stay faulty (and off), but Mum had been having trouble sleeping, so...

The compressor was still under warranty, but I was told that I would still have to pay for manpower and parts – so what use is their guarantee? After being relieved of $180, I realised there was still time to rush down to Ben Foods, a food distributor, to help a friend look for cheap wine.

Of course, that would mean a 55km round trip, which is hardly eco-friendly. Ah well, I did promise.

So it was off to Fishery Port Road, burning three litres of petrol, and expanding my carbon footprint on the round trip. Parking was free, which was a comfort, but I had better make the long drive pay. So I spent $290 on $12-wine, Black Angus beef, wild salmon and all sorts of stuff I would I would normally not spring for, but which I’ve read are good for me (in moderation!), and which, when bought from the importer, were quite affordable. Throw in some imperishables and stuff for a neighbour, and the petrol I burnt wasn’t going to keep me awake at nights – not that I plan to go again for a few months, at least.

After a quiet afternoon, it was time go for a play – all the way to the University Cultural Centre at the UCC! However, the ticket was free, and I have a policy of not turning down free tickets in order to keep the free entertainment coming. By dressing up properly so as not to embarrass my friends, and offering them a lift home, I’ve been invited to Emily of Emerald Hill, Carmen, H is for Hantu and other shows recently. It works out to 2 shows every 3 weeks or so.

So I started the long drive to UCC, after reminding Lena and Mum to turn off the lights during Earth Hour, which I was going to miss.

It was a good show, but all in, a lousy showing from me on Earth Day.

I’m making up for it, though. I still gather empty plastic bottles for my neighbour to reuse, and I’ve got some friends doing it for me – it’s amazing how people who won’t keep their plastic bottles for recycling on their own will do it to oblige you. Anyway, the more bottles saved from the landfills the better.

And I think I’ll try to have an Earth Hour every quarter, perhaps – on a cool night when fans are not really necessary. Using the candles rescued from other people’s waste bins of course – some after a candle-light vigil, when they wanted to junk the half-burned candles, others that had served as decorations in homes, which were about to be thrown when they looked worse for wear. All still can be lit, so why waste them?

No comments:

Post a Comment